Vikram Patel says, “Being mentally fit improves our overall wellbeing and prevents other illnesses.” And since deficiency in the mental status will have a severe negative impact on anyone, making it a priority can remarkably improve our quality of life.
Really, the importance of our psychological wellbeing cannot be stressed enough; neither is it out of place to assert that other areas of our being depend hugely on this to function optimally.
But sadly, especially within our demography, this singular aspect of our lives receives zero or no attention. There are various ways to maintain positive mental health and live a fulfilling and enjoyable life.
As a writer, there are few things to pay attention to:
- Refrain from negative thoughts: No matter how overused this may sound, you are your thoughts. You act out what you brood over, which, if negative, can torment you mercilessly. So, it’s essential to pay attention and change them.
- Shun toxic relationships: If it’s not improving you, it’s not worth it. If they are not helping you get better, they deserve no space in your life. Moreover, why give your time to irrelevancies at the detriment of your mental health. You deserve better!
- Tend to your errors with love: How do you react to your mistakes? What do you say to yourself? “Oh! I’m such a failure,” or “I never do anything right.” Truth be told, we cannot completely erase our chances of tripping but we can control how we react to them.
Your first draft was nothing close to your expectation. Okay? The beautiful piece you invested all of your energy to develop received smothering criticisms. Okay? Well that’s not enough reason to crucify yourself.
Quit the cursing and self-belittling as they don’t solve anything. Instead, take a deep breath. Relax. Appreciate your efforts. Reward yourself for taking those courageous little steps. In reciprocity, your mental health would be bountifully rewarded.
- Take care of yourself: This cannot be stressed enough. It is vital, no matter where you fall on the mental health spectrum. Self-care is a necessity! 90% of the time, our job as writers requires that we sit for a good portion of the day.
To minimize the toll that this can take, get up and stretch at intervals. Go for a walk if you can. When you do this, you’re improving blood circulation, which also helps to stimulate brain function. And when you return, you’d be a lot more productive. In addition, scrutinize your nutritional consumption thoroughly. Watch what you eat. Rest well.
And I cannot forget to add exercise as there are significant mental benefits hidden therein.
- Unwind: Sometimes, we get so caught up in the daily demands of life that we forget to truly live. Once in a while, step out of your comfort zone and give yourself a break. Your body and overall health will thank you for it.
It is up to you to start making healthy choices. Not choices that are only healthy for your body but also your mind. Your mental health is a priority. Take care of it and stay fit.
Do you have other tips capable of helping us stay mentally fit as writers?
We look forward to hearing from you.